Last weekend my son and I went berry picking for the first time together. We came completely unprepared, which I only realized when I saw other families in their sun hats, applying sunscreen, appropriately clothed and shoed. Nonetheless, we got our baskets and went-a-pickin'.
I pulled out my camera and started snapping, trying to find my settings for this extremely bright, late morning adventure, and three shots in... dead battery. Talk about the epitome of unpreparedness!!!
I have a story about buying two extra batteries, losing and buying chargers, and then losing two new extra batteries, but its a pretty boring story so I'll skip to the moral.... And the moral of the story is, "whatever, just buy another battery!".
But with the help of Picnik, I'll add another conclusion... sometimes its not about the perfect picture, but capturing a memory from a perfect day.
The photo wasn't great, but the end result reminds me of how I felt that day.... very nostalgic and full of memories of picking from the ample blackberry bushes around our property with my brothers and parents, eating warm berries straight from the vine, stained fingertips and purple mouths, and the anticipation of blackberry pie, and while watching my little guy I smiled knowing that someday I'd look back with fond memories of this day, too.
Yeah, I wish I had more photos of my seriously lovable 4 year old studiously choosing the perfect berries to pick, or his little pursed, purple lips when he sampled one that wasn't quite ripe, or the baskets of our beautiful loot when we finally had sweat enough for the day. But the great thing about summer is that blackberries grow until September. I sometimes learn lessons pretty quickly so next week when we go back (who knew we could go through that many blackberries so quickly!?), we'll be armed with hats, appropriate clothing, and plenty of battery life. :)

The blackberries are booming right now! I want to get a basket and stock up around here too. So yummy!
ReplyDeleteIt is funny how having a camera can help you to be in the moment and also distract you from it. Sounds like you truly enjoyed the day despite the battery. Glad to hear there will be more berry picking days.
ReplyDelete